Thursday, May 29, 2014

Day Seven


Thursday, May 29

This morning I woke up feeling a bit under the weather, and definitely not up for driving to Seattle alone, so I decided to stay close to home.  One of my favorite places in Woodinville is the Tolt Pipeline Trail that runs about 14 miles through Woodinville, Redmond, and Duvall. My family has been walking this trail for as long as I remember.  My favorite spot is a group of three boulders in the middle of Heart-Attack Hill.  Yes, this is its literal name which is ironic because it happens to be the hill I almost died sledding down when I was little (nearly gave my parents a heart attack).  I love these boulders because when I was younger we would always take a break here and my mom would pull chocolate or Fruit Gushers out of her bag for a special treat.  

I sat down in the grass and sketched these boulders and the surrounding rolling hills for an hour and a half.  Unfortunately it started to rain so I had to finish the drawing at my house- typical.


After a lunch break I went down to the roundabouts in Woodinville and sketched the Hollywood Schoolhouse.  I have passed this building about five thousand times so it was very familiar to sketch.  But, something I have observed repeatedly is you never truly know something until you sketch it.  Everything looks different after you sketch it.  For my senior exhibition I sketched my little brother and now when I look at him I see the shadows and shades of his face…its weird.  

A huge part of this project is how my sketches show a progression of skill and improvement.  I feel like I have improved a lot already and I can draw faster and more precisely. 





No comments:

Post a Comment