Saturday, May 24, 2014

Day Five


Friday, May 23, 2014

This morning started with a giant cup of green tea at Victor’s in Redmond.  I love the dark colors and atmosphere of Victor’s so I knew it would be a good place to sketch.  I found a table in front of the espresso bar and sketched for an hour and a half.  


 Something that I have found really interesting about urban sketching is people sometimes forget you are there.  A highly botoxed woman and her friend she hadn’t seen for twenty years sat down next to me and at first they were pretty conscious I was there.  But after a few minutes they started talking about their struggles with alcoholism and all of these highly personal events in their lives. I felt kind of bad because in a way it was eavesdropping, but there is a reason I never get bored sketching and it is people like this who keep it interesting.  


After sketching at Victor’s my mom and I headed down to Seattle to sketch at the Chihuly Exhibit.  I was excited to have her along because she is an artist herself and it is always fun to compare sketches and viewpoints.  This was my third time going to the exhibit but sketching it was completely different.  I sketched a few of his big art pieces and was completely in awe of how complex and beautiful they are.  


  It also amazed me how different my mom’s sketches and mine were.  We were sitting on the same bench, looking at the same things, but they were completely different.  I think this is an illustration (literally) of the way God makes each person unique.  We are both creative people and we both interpret the scenes in front of us in our own ways.  When people sketch the same thing in different ways it shows their interpretation of the truth and beauty in front of them.



 (Mine is the first one, my mom's is the second) 

Turned out that today was also Folklife Festival at the Seattle Center, which-no offense to Folklife Fans- is basically a weirder version of Bumbershoot.  I saw more true hippies in one place then I ever thought possible…Let’s just say my mom and I didn’t really fit in.  I was very happy to have her along and overall it was another exciting and unique experience.  








I also got to spend the rest of my night with these two goofs. Which is always fun. 


No comments:

Post a Comment