Thursday, May 29, 2014

Day Six


Tuesday, May 27, 2014

This morning I met with Mrs. Williams and showed her my new sketches and the progress I have made. 

After meeting with her I drove to Gas Works Park in Seattle.  The drive was easy (no Mercer shift or screaming) and I was surprised by how close the park is to UW, where I will be spending the next four years.  I had never been to Gas Works Park before and was amazed by the gorgeous view of Seattle.  I chose a spot in front of a large, rusty, machine and sketched it for an hour. 




 The sun was shining and the beauty of this park equally amazed the tourists and joggers around me.  One thing that I like about Gas Works Park is the juxtaposition of the shiny Seattle skyline with the rusty old machines in the park.  This historic site containing some of the only remaining remnants of coal gasification plants in the US truly shows the diversity of Seattle.  I was able to sketch a piece of Seattle’s history then turn around and sketch the modern skyline behind me. 

Later on in the day I went up to Snohomish to sketch some of the unique antique shops.  There was so much clutter in all of these shops that it was hard to choose what to sketch.  However I found a shop containing tons of neon signs (and junk) and instead of being overwhelmed, I tried to look for the simplicity within it.  I penciled in the details of the shop then finished it later at home.  Within all the clutter the color red stood out to me the most so I decided to only watercolor the red parts of the shop. 



My main challenge of the day was sketching in the antique store.  I used to get overwhelmed really easily when urban sketching- there is so much to choose from.  But I think I am getting better at finding simplicity in scenes in front of me.  In some ways, finding simplicity within clutter is a valuable lesson for every aspect of my life.  It is easy to get caught up in the “clutter” of our lives but sometimes the simple moments are the ones we value the most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment