Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Day Ten


Tuesday, June 3
  
This morning at eight I met with Mrs. Williams and talked about my presentation/new sketches.  Afterwards, similar to yesterday, I decided to go to one location in Seattle and spend more time there- Pike Place Market.  The market has always been one of my favorite spots in Seattle because no matter what day or time it is, it is always bustling with life and different people and activities.  There was so much going on that I took forever to decide what to sketch.  Luckily I had my mom with me again today!

 Our first location was Café Campagne in the Post Alley.  We chose this spot because it faced the Post Alley sign and we could sip our tea while sketching.  Both of us felt like we were on vacation or in a different place because of how relaxed and happy we were.  You know it is going to be a good day when the city you have lived near for most of your life feels like a vacation spot.  


(The top is my mom's, the bottom is mine) 



  Next we went to a gluten free bakery for lunch (where I had a croissant for the first time in ten years!!)  Then we went to the lower levels of the market and I stood and sketched the scene around us.  After walking around and exploring some more we found the only bench in the entire market -which happened to be right in front of the fish-tossing area- and sketched for about an hour.  


 

What I have discovered about urban sketching is it makes the craziness and chaos around you become silent.  When I was sitting on that bench and hundreds of tourists and screaming kids walked by, I was so focused on what I was drawing that I hardly noticed the noise.  And another sweet old lady complimented us on our drawings again, she was a bit lost…

 (This was in my horizontal sketchbook so I had to take two separate scans)

(My mom's drawing from the same spot)

 To end our day at the market we bought peonies, a Polish dish, and of course, Beecher’s Cheese.  



 

1 comment:

  1. Alex, it has been a real pleasure to join you on your sketching journey via this blog. Thank you for sharing with those of us far away. You have brought pictures to life and shown things that the casual observer would miss. Appreciate your talent in art as well as writing. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete